US Senate passes bipartisan bill protecting same-sex marriage !

Started by Sadauskas, Nov 29, 2022, 08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadauskas

US Senate passes bipartisan bill protecting same-sex marriage

The Respect for Marriage Act now returns to the Democratic-led US House of Representatives for a final vote.

The United States Senate has voted 61 to 36 to pass the Respect for Marriage Act, a bill that would enshrine protections for same-sex and interracial marriages in federal law.

Twelve Republicans joined the 49 Democrats present in supporting the landmark piece of legislation, which prohibits states from denying "out-of-state marriages on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity or national origin".

The bill also "repeals and replaces" any federal language that defines marriage as between individuals of the opposite sex.

Tuesday's bipartisan victory comes in the final weeks of the Democratic-controlled Congress. The bill now returns to the House of Representatives, which is slated to shift to Republican leadership when the 118th Congress is sworn in on January 3.

In a speech minutes before the vote, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, a Democrat, applauded the bill's bipartisan support, saying he planned to call his daughter and her wife to celebrate.

"For millions of Americans, today is a very good day. An important day. A day that's been a long time in coming," Schumer said.

"The long but inexorable march towards greater equality advances forward. By passing this bill, the Senate is sending a message that every American needs to hear: No matter who you are or who you love, you too deserve dignity and equal treatment under the law."

But in the hours before Tuesday's vote, Senate Republicans like James Lankford of Oklahoma raised fears the Respect for Marriage Act would curtain religious freedom in the US and proposed additional amendments to the bill.

"Is today about respecting the rights of all, or is it about silencing some and respecting others?" Lankford said.

A Gallup poll showed that support for same-sex marriage in the US had hit a record high of 70 percent in 2021. It was also the first time Gallup recorded a majority of Republicans in favour of same-sex marriage, at a rate of 55 percent.

"Current federal law does not reflect the will or beliefs of the American people in this regard," Ohio Republican Rob Portman said in a speech in support of the Respect for Marriage Act on November 16. "The current statute allows states and governments to refuse valid same-sex marriages."

Since 2015, the Supreme Court decision Obergefell v Hodges has guaranteed the right for same-sex couples to marry. But laws like the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act — which defined marriage as between "one man and one woman" and denied federal recognition to same-sex couples — remained on the books, though unenforceable.

While the Respect for Marriage Act would not codify the Obergefell ruling, it would repeal laws like the Defense of Marriage Act. It would also mandate that states recognise all marriages that were legal where they were performed and protect current same-sex unions.

The current push to pass the Respect for Marriage Act came in the wake of June's Supreme Court decision in Dobbs v Jackson Women's Health Organization, which overturned a half-century of protections for abortion access.

In a Senate session on Monday, Oregon Democrat Ron Wyden pointed to the Dobbs decision as motivation to vote in favour of the bill.

"Some members of this body have questioned why we need to pass this bill when marriage equality is the law of the land," Wyden said. "The answer is pretty straightforward. The Dobbs ruling, which overturned Roe versus Wade, showed that the Senate cannot take any modern legal precedent for granted."

The majority opinion in the Dobbs decision, written by Justice Samuel Alito, denied that the ruling would affect court precedents outside of abortion.

But a concurring opinion, submitted by Justice Clarence Thomas, suggested the court should "reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents", naming the 2015 Obergefell decision among them.

On July 19, just weeks following the Dobbs decision, House Democrats passed the Respect for Marriage Act with the support of 47 Republicans – a surprise bipartisan vote that signalled an apparent split in Republicans' stance towards same-sex marriage.

Top House Republicans, including Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and Whip Steve Scalise, opposed the bill, while the number-three Republican, New York's Elise Stefanik, voted in favour.

After passing the House, the Respect for Marriage Act faced steeper odds in the evenly split Senate, where 60 votes were needed to overcome a filibuster.

Senate Democrats delayed a vote on the bill until after the US held its midterm elections in an effort to relieve pressure on Republicans and garner greater bipartisan support. Republicans pushed for multiple amendments to be made to the bill on the grounds of protecting religious liberty.

The bill that passed on Tuesday included language that explicitly prohibited polygamous marriages and ensured the bill cannot be used to target or deny government benefits, including tax-exempt status, based on religious belief. In a test vote on Monday, 12 Republicans joined the Senate Democrats in voting in favour of the amended bill.

Religious groups also offered support for the bill, including the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), which applauded the bill for its "religious freedom protections while respecting the law and preserving the rights of our LGBTQ brothers and sisters".

"It's notable that the Senate is having this debate to begin with," Schumer said on Monday. "A decade ago, it would have strained all of our imaginations to envision both sides talking about protecting the rights of same-sex married couples."

But Tuesday's vote was preceded by further proposed amendments to the bill, from Senators including Lankford and Florida's Marco Rubio.

Portman, a fellow Republican, urged his party on Tuesday to support the Respect for Marriage Act. He dismissed as "false" concerns the bill would make "institutions and individuals trying to live according to their sincerely held beliefs" vulnerable to litigation.

The bill, Portman said, "reflects a national policy that respects diverse beliefs about the role of gender and marriage, while also protecting the rights of same-sex marriage couples".

Another Republican, Wyoming's Cynthia Lummis, told the Senate that, while she believes "God's word as to the definition of marriage", she would support the Respect for Marriage Act.

"These are turbulent times for our nation," Lummis said, citing an increase in heated rhetoric. "We do well by taking this step, not embracing or validating each other's devoutly held views, but by the simple act of tolerating them."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOURCES: Al Jazeera and news agencies, SADAUSKAS.INFO SADAUSKIENE.COM
https://twitter.com/sadauskas_info
Dainius Sadauskas #sadauskas #dainius_sadauskas #LGBT #LGBTQ #LGBTQIA

kd 15

My spouse and i were quite relieved  Raymond managed to carry out his research via the precious recommendations he received through your web page. It is now and again perplexing to simply possibly be giving away helpful tips  some other people could have been making money from. Therefore we already know we need you to give thanks to for this. The main explanations you made, the easy site menu, the relationships your site assist to foster - it is many spectacular, and it's helping our son and the family reason why the issue is satisfying, which is wonderfully pressing. Thank you for everything!
kd 15 http://www.kd15shoes.com

birkin bag

My wife and i felt  fulfilled that Emmanuel managed to deal with his analysis through the entire precious recommendations he received when using the weblog. It's not at all simplistic to just possibly be freely giving things which some others have been making money from. So we know we have the website owner to appreciate because of that. Most of the explanations you have made, the easy web site menu, the friendships you can aid to create - it's got many impressive, and it's really aiding our son and our family believe that that situation is pleasurable, and that is quite indispensable. Thank you for all!
birkin bag http://www.birkinbag.us.com

kobe 11

Thank you so much for giving everyone an extremely remarkable opportunity to read articles and blog posts from this website. It is often very lovely plus jam-packed with a lot of fun for me personally and my office acquaintances to visit your web site a minimum of 3 times in one week to learn the latest items you will have. Not to mention, I'm just actually happy considering the impressive methods served by you. Some two facts in this posting are particularly the most beneficial I've ever had.
kobe 11 http://www.kobebasketballshoes.net

goyard handbags & purses

Needed to put you a very small observation to help say thanks as before for your lovely secrets you've contributed on this site. It has been simply shockingly generous of people like you giving openly precisely what many individuals could possibly have offered for sale for an electronic book in order to make some bucks for themselves, and in particular considering the fact that you might have tried it if you wanted. Those good tips likewise worked to be the good way to comprehend other people have a similar eagerness similar to my own to understand way more with respect to this problem. I am sure there are numerous more pleasant situations in the future for people who read your blog.
goyard handbags & purses http://www.goyardshandbags.us.org

fear of god clothing

I just wanted to jot down a brief remark so as to thank you for all of the awesome ways you are giving out on this website. My prolonged internet investigation has finally been honored with sensible knowledge to go over with my relatives. I 'd assert that most of us website visitors are really lucky to live in a really good website with very many special people with very helpful hints. I feel rather blessed to have discovered the site and look forward to many more enjoyable moments reading here. Thank you again for all the details.
fear of god clothing http://www.fearofgodoutlet.com

off white clothing

I  wanted to jot down a quick comment to be able to appreciate you for all of the precious tips you are sharing at this website. My extensive internet search has finally been recognized with good ideas to write about with my good friends. I 'd claim that we website visitors actually are definitely lucky to dwell in a remarkable site with so many brilliant professionals with beneficial tactics. I feel very happy to have used your weblog and look forward to really more awesome times reading here. Thanks again for all the details.
off white clothing http://www.off--whiteclothing.com

nike off white

Thank you so much for giving everyone remarkably nice possiblity to check tips from this website. It is always so great and also full of a lot of fun for me personally and my office peers to search your blog not less than 3 times weekly to learn the new stuff you have got. And definitely, I'm so always motivated for the eye-popping tricks served by you. Selected 3 ideas in this posting are basically the most beneficial we have had.
nike off white http://www.offwhiteshoes.us.com

supreme clothing

Thanks a lot for providing individuals with an exceptionally special possiblity to read critical reviews from this website. It's always very fantastic and full of a great time for me and my office acquaintances to search your blog particularly 3 times a week to see the new guidance you will have. And indeed, I am certainly impressed for the astounding concepts you give. Some 1 ideas in this post are undeniably the simplest I have had.
supreme clothing http://www.supremeclothings.com

bapesta shoes

I just wanted to type a simple word to express gratitude to you for all the fantastic tips and hints you are writing at this site. My extended internet look up has finally been compensated with beneficial knowledge to write about with my neighbours. I 'd state that that we readers are undeniably blessed to live in a really good community with so many brilliant professionals with good advice. I feel extremely lucky to have encountered your web site and look forward to plenty of more exciting times reading here. Thanks once more for all the details.
bapesta shoes http://www.bape-shoes.com

kd shoes

I want to voice my affection for your kindness for men and women who have the need for assistance with in this matter. Your special dedication to getting the solution across came to be definitely helpful and has truly empowered most people just like me to reach their goals. Your amazing important report denotes a lot a person like me and somewhat more to my fellow workers. With thanks; from each one of us.
kd shoes http://www.kd14.org

kd 15

My spouse and i were absolutely fortunate that Jordan could round up his investigation through the ideas he discovered from your web pages. It's not at all simplistic to simply continually be offering guides which often many people have been selling. And now we fully grasp we have the writer to give thanks to for that. The type of explanations you made, the easy blog navigation, the friendships your site help to foster - it is most fabulous, and it is aiding our son in addition to our family reason why that issue is amusing, which is certainly extremely indispensable. Thank you for the whole lot!
kd 15 http://www.kd15.us

golden goose

I in addition to my friends happened to be reading through the best thoughts located on your web site and then the sudden came up with an awful feeling I had not expressed respect to the site owner for those tips. The young boys came so joyful to study all of them and already have truly been having fun with those things. Many thanks for actually being considerably helpful and then for considering certain decent ideas millions of individuals are really desirous to learn about. Our honest regret for not expressing appreciation to  earlier.
golden goose http://www.goldengooseoutletus.com

kawhi leonard shoes

My husband and i have been so thankful  Albert managed to deal with his researching through the entire ideas he grabbed out of your site. It is now and again perplexing to simply always be giving freely hints that many others may have been trying to sell. Therefore we recognize we have got you to appreciate for this. The explanations you made, the straightforward web site menu, the friendships your site assist to instill - it's got many impressive, and it is leading our son in addition to the family imagine that the issue is entertaining, and that is highly pressing. Thanks for all the pieces!
kawhi leonard shoes http://www.kawhileonardshoes.us

kd 14

I and my guys appeared to be looking through the good thoughts located on your website and then unexpectedly developed an awful feeling I had not thanked you for those techniques. My ladies were definitely as a consequence warmed to see them and now have without a doubt been enjoying them. I appreciate you for truly being considerably accommodating and for making a choice on such notable subject areas millions of individuals are really needing to be informed on. Our own honest apologies for not saying thanks to  sooner.
kd 14 http://www.kd14shoes.com

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview