Colorado Springs wrestles with its religious, anti-LGBTQ past after gay club....

Started by Sadauskas, Nov 25, 2022, 05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadauskas

Colorado Springs wrestles with its religious, anti-LGBTQ past after gay club shooting

A rainbow flag is unfurled at City Hall on Wednesday in Colorado Springs, Colo., days after a mass shooting at an gay club.
(Brittany Peterson / Associated Press)

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — 

When officials unfurled a 25-foot-long rainbow flag in front of Colorado Springs City Hall this week, people who gathered to mourn the victims of a mass shooting at a popular gay club couldn't help but reflect on how such a display of support would have been unthinkable just days earlier.

With a growing and diversifying population, the Colorado city nestled at the foothills of the Rockies is a patchwork of disparate social and cultural fabrics. It's a place full of art shops and breweries; megachurches and military bases; a liberal arts college and the Air Force Academy. For years, it's marketed itself as an outdoorsy boomtown with a population set to top Denver's by 2050.

But last weekend's shooting has raised uneasy questions about the lasting legacy of cultural conflicts that caught fire decades ago and gave Colorado Springs a reputation as a center of religion-infused conservatism, where LGBTQ people didn't fit in with the most vocal community leaders' idea of family values.

For some, merely seeing police being careful to refer to the victims using their correct pronouns this week signaled a seismic change. For others, the shocking act of violence in a space considered an LGBTQ refuge shattered a sense of optimism that had spread from the city's revitalized downtown to the sprawling subdivisions on its outskirts.

"It feels like the city is kind of at this tipping point," said Candace Woods, a queer minister and chaplain who has called Colorado Springs home for 18 years. "It feels interesting and strange, like there's this tension: How are we going to decide how we want to move forward as a community?"

In recent decades, the population has almost doubled to 480,000 people. More than one-third of residents are nonwhite — twice as many as in 1980. The median age is 35. Politics here lean more conservative than in comparably sized cities. City Council debates revolve around issues familiar throughout the Mountain West, such as water, housing and the threat of wildfires.

Residents take pride in describing Colorado Springs as a place defined by reinvention. In the early 20th century, newcomers sought to establish a resort town in the shadow of Pikes Peak. In the 1940s, military bases arrived. In the 1990s, it became known as a home base for evangelical nonprofits and Christian ministries including the broadcast ministry Focus on the Family and the Fellowship of Christian Cowboys.

"I have been thinking for years we're in the middle of a transition about what Colorado Springs is, who we are and what we've become," said Matt Mayberry, a historian who directs the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum.

The idea of latching onto a city with a bright future is part of what drew Michael Anderson, a bartender at Club Q who survived last weekend's shooting, to move here.

Two friends, Derrick Rump and Daniel Aston, helped him land the job at Club Q and find his "queer family" in his new hometown. It was more welcoming than the rural part of Florida where he grew up.

Still, he noted signs that the city was more culturally conservative than others of similar size and much of the rest of Colorado: "Colorado Springs is kind of an outlier," he said.

Now he's grieving the loss of Rump and Aston, both of whom were slain in the club shooting.

Leslie Herod followed an opposite trajectory. After growing up in Colorado Springs in a military family — like many others in the city — she left to study at the University of Colorado in the liberal city of Boulder. In 2016, she became the first openly LGBTQ and Black person elected to Colorado's General Assembly, representing part of Denver. She is now running to become Denver's mayor.

"Colorado Springs is a community that is full of love. But I will also acknowledge that I chose to leave the Springs because I felt like when it came to ... the elected leadership, the vocal leadership in this community, it wasn't supportive of all people, wasn't supportive of Black people, wasn't supportive of immigrants, not supportive of LGBTQ people," Herod said at a memorial event downtown.

She said she found community at Club Q when she would come back from college, but that sense of belonging didn't allow her to forget that people and groups with a history of anti-LGBTQ stances and rhetoric maintained influence in city politics.

"This community, just like any other community in the country, is complex," she said.

Herod and others who have been around long enough remember how, in the 1990s, at the height of the religious right's influence, the Colorado Springs-based group Colorado for Family Values spearheaded a statewide push to pass Amendment 2, which made it illegal for communities to pass ordinances protecting LGBTQ people from discrimination.

Colorado Springs voted 3 to 1 in favor of Amendment 2, helping make its narrow statewide victory possible. Though it was later ruled unconstitutional, the campaign cemented the city's reputation, drawing more like-minded groups and galvanizing progressive activists in response.

The influx of evangelical groups decades ago was at least in part spurred by efforts from the city's economic development arm to offer financial incentives to lure nonprofit organizations. Newcomers began lobbying for policies such as getting rid of school Halloween celebrations because of suspicions about the holiday's pagan origins.

Yemi Mobolade, an entrepreneur running for mayor as an independent, didn't understand how strong Colorado Springs' stigma as a "hate city" was until he moved here 12 years ago. But since he's been here, he said, it has risen from recession-era struggles and become culturally and economically vibrant for all kinds of people.

There has been a concerted push to shed the city's reputation as "Jesus Springs" and remake it yet again, highlighting its elite Olympic Training Center and branding itself as Olympic City USA.

As in the 1990s, Focus on the Family and New Life Church remain prominent in town. After the shooting, Focus on the Family's president, Jim Daly, said that, like the rest of the community, he was mourning the tragedy. With the city under the national spotlight, he said the organization wanted to make clear that it stands against hate.

Daly noted a generational shift among Christian leaders away from the rhetorical style of his predecessor, James Dobson. Whereas Focus on the Family published literature in past decades assailing what it called the "Homosexual Agenda," its messaging now emphasizes tolerance, ensuring that those who believe marriage should be between one man and one woman have the right to act accordingly.

"I think in a pluralistic culture now, the idea is: How do we all live without treading on each other?" Daly said.

The memorials this week attracted a wave of visitors: crowds of mourners clutching flowers, throngs of television crews and also a church group whose volunteers set up a tent and passed out cookies, coffee and water. To some in the LGBTQ community, the scene was less about solidarity and more a cause for consternation.

Colorado Springs native Ashlyn May, who grew up in a Christian church but left when it didn't accept her queer identity, said one woman from the group in the tent asked if she could pray for her and a friend who accompanied her to the memorial.

She said yes. It reminded May of her beloved great-grandparents, who were religious. But as the praying carried on and the woman urged May and her friend to turn to God, she felt as if praying had turned into preying. It unearthed memories of hearing things about LGBTQ people she saw as hateful and inciting.

"It felt very conflicting," May said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOURCES: latimes.com By SAM METZ and STEPHEN GROVES | Associated Press
lgbtq.sadauskas.info sadauskiene.com
#sadauskas #dainius_sadauskas

longchamp

I am just writing to let you understand of the perfect encounter our princess went through browsing your blog. She even learned such a lot of issues, which include what it's like to possess an amazing helping mood to make other people really easily learn about specified extremely tough topics. You actually did more than readers' expected results. Many thanks for supplying these insightful, dependable, explanatory and as well as unique tips about your topic to Gloria.
longchamp http://www.longchampshandbags.us.org

hermes belt

My spouse and i were really comfortable when Ervin managed to do his investigation through your ideas he had while using the web site. It's not at all simplistic just to choose to be releasing points which many people may have been trying to sell. And we understand we have the website owner to be grateful to because of that. All the illustrations you've made, the straightforward website navigation, the relationships you will help to foster - it's everything terrific, and it's aiding our son and us do think that subject is thrilling, and that's extraordinarily important. Many thanks for all!
hermes belt http://www.hermesbelts.us.org

hermes bag

I must get across my appreciation for your kindness supporting those individuals that really need guidance on the subject. Your real commitment to getting the solution all-around has been exceptionally practical and have really encouraged somebody just like me to arrive at their endeavors. Your own informative recommendations denotes so much a person like me and additionally to my office workers. Many thanks; from everyone of us.
hermes bag http://www.hermesoutlets.com

yeezy 350

I would like to convey my love for your kindness for those who have the need for help on this particular content. Your very own commitment to getting the solution along has been especially functional and have  made professionals just like me to attain their endeavors. Your amazing helpful information indicates a great deal to me and especially to my mates. Warm regards; from each one of us.
yeezy 350 http://www.yeezy-350.us.com

air jordan shoes

Thank you so much for giving everyone such a marvellous possiblity to read critical reviews from here. It is often very sweet and jam-packed with a good time for me personally and my office friends to visit the blog at minimum thrice every week to read the newest guidance you have got. Not to mention, we are usually happy with your striking creative ideas served by you. Some 2 ideas on this page are in fact the most beneficial we have had.
air jordan shoes http://www.michaeljordanshoes.us.com

kyrie irving shoes

Needed to send you that bit of observation to help say thanks a lot the moment again on your pleasing guidelines you've shared on this site. It's  pretty generous with you to allow publicly all that some people could possibly have offered for sale for an e book to earn some money for their own end, most notably seeing that you could possibly have done it in the event you wanted. These guidelines additionally acted to provide a fantastic way to fully grasp that the rest have the same zeal just like my own to realize more and more when it comes to this issue. I think there are a lot more pleasant times up front for many who scan your blog post.
kyrie irving shoes http://www.kyrie7shoes.us

curry shoes

I actually wanted to send a simple word so as to thank you for the lovely tricks you are giving on this website. My incredibly long internet research has at the end of the day been paid with brilliant strategies to go over with my company. I 'd mention that many of us site visitors are rather endowed to exist in a magnificent site with very many wonderful individuals with valuable suggestions. I feel truly grateful to have discovered your entire site and look forward to so many more pleasurable times reading here. Thanks a lot once again for a lot of things.
curry shoes http://www.curry8.org

a bathing ape

My spouse and i felt  happy  Chris could finish up his analysis through the entire precious recommendations he obtained out of your site. It's not at all simplistic to simply possibly be freely giving hints that many some people have been making money from. So we fully grasp we now have the website owner to give thanks to for that. The most important explanations you made, the simple web site menu, the relationships you will help foster - it is many exceptional, and it's really letting our son in addition to the family recognize that this subject is excellent, and that's extraordinarily important. Thanks for the whole thing!
a bathing ape https://www.bapesoutlet.com

kawhi leonard shoes

I'm also commenting to make you understand of the helpful experience my daughter went through browsing yuor web blog. She figured out too many pieces, including what it is like to possess an amazing coaching spirit to let other individuals smoothly grasp several multifaceted matters. You really surpassed readers' expected results. I appreciate you for producing the good, healthy, revealing as well as fun guidance on your topic to Kate.
kawhi leonard shoes http://www.kawhileonardshoes.us

birkin bag

My spouse and i felt really glad that Louis managed to finish off his investigation through your ideas he discovered using your web site. It's not at all simplistic to simply possibly be releasing helpful hints that others could have been making money from. And we also acknowledge we have got the writer to give thanks to because of that. The specific explanations you've made, the simple website navigation, the relationships you will aid to foster - it's got most terrific, and it's really leading our son and us recognize that the matter is amusing, which is highly mandatory. Thank you for the whole lot!
birkin bag http://www.hermesbirkinbags.us.com

pg 1

I have to show  thanks to the writer for rescuing me from this setting. Just after surfing around throughout the internet and finding concepts which are not beneficial, I thought my life was well over. Living without the solutions to the issues you have sorted out all through your main posting is a serious case, and those that might have badly affected my career if I hadn't discovered your web blog. The competence and kindness in dealing with all the stuff was tremendous. I'm not sure what I would've done if I hadn't encountered such a point like this. It's possible to at this time look ahead to my future. Thank you so much for your expert and effective guide. I won't hesitate to endorse your web site to anyone who will need direction on this subject matter.
pg 1 http://www.paulgeorge.us.com

goyard outlet

My wife and i have been very relieved  Albert managed to complete his investigation with the precious recommendations he was given while using the blog. It's not at all simplistic to just find yourself giving away thoughts which usually many people may have been trying to sell. We figure out we need the blog owner to appreciate for that. The most important illustrations you made, the easy blog menu, the friendships you can help to promote - it is everything amazing, and it's really facilitating our son and our family imagine that this topic is awesome, and that's pretty mandatory. Thanks for the whole thing!
goyard outlet http://www.goyardoutlets.us

supreme

I want to point out my admiration for your kind-heartedness in support of those who have the need for guidance on that situation. Your real commitment to getting the message all through appears to be surprisingly invaluable and have consistently permitted associates just like me to arrive at their dreams. The insightful help implies a lot to me and substantially more to my colleagues. Regards; from everyone of us.
supreme http://www.supremes.us.org

off white

I simply wanted to compose a simple message to express gratitude to you for the splendid pointers you are giving out at this website. My extended internet research has finally been recognized with reputable facts and techniques to write about with my family. I would point out that we website visitors are rather fortunate to exist in a decent website with  many special professionals with very beneficial opinions. I feel truly happy to have seen your entire webpage and look forward to many more fabulous moments reading here. Thanks a lot again for all the details.
off white http://www.offwhite-shoes.us.org

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview